Thanks for the update, I will test today.
Syncdocs deletes local file after performing sync upload(51 posts) (7 voices)
Well, disappointingly, version 2.22 seems to be doing exactly the same thing.
I just watched while it re-downloaded 10 files (MYOB and Excel mainly) that it has just uploaded and then deleted the local version.
I have checked the version and definitely running 2.22 now. Also have now tried a sync cache reset and still does it.
Same thing here, But only deleted .php, .png, .css files for me.
@Nicka & @Speedie: Thanks for the feedback.
Can you confirm this is what you are seeing:
1. you edit a file in Myob, Excel (or Dreamweaver?)
2. you save the changes
3. Syncdocs uploads these changes to Google
4. Syncdocs then deletes the local copy, but keeps the Google copy?
Yes, that is exactly what is happening.
After it checks between Google docs and local, i see it upload to Google docs, then the normal message "SyncDocs completed successively..." If I check my recycle bin, those files that have just been uploaded are in the recycle bin. However, it seems to be just .php, css, .png files now, my quicken files, all other picture files, .doc, pdf etc. did not get sent to the recycle bin this time. I seem to be able to reproduce this every time I do a Sync.
I have a screen shots of "Syncing Google delete locally on \myfile\" But i do not see any where I can upload a jpeg
Seems like after I emptied my trash on google doc's, the sync worked.
Phil - yes, that is what it is doing but with the addition of
5. Syncdocs downloads a copy of the file it just uploaded from Google Docs to the local machine (normally have to force a sync for this to happen immediately)
It is still doing the sync / delete / download shuffle every time with MYOB files.
With Excel files, it seems to be intermittent - most of the time it works as it should but from time to time it does the sync/delete/download. I am playing with it at the moment to see if I can replicate the issue consistently.
Emptying trash doesn't seem to have made any difference for me.
Okay, I have managed to consistently replicate the sync / delete / download issue with Excel...
But, strangely, I can only get it to consistently occur when opening/modifying TWO Excel spreadsheets at the same time (something many users often do).
This is what I did:
1. Created two new Excel spreadsheets in a directory tagged to sync with Google Docs (i.e. right-click / new / Microsoft Excel Worksheet)
2. Syncdocs did a sync upload - all okay
3. I then opened one of the spreadsheets - Syncdocs did an upload / replace of the opened spreadsheet when it detected a change (all okay)
4. I then opened the second spreadsheet - Syncdocs did an upload / replace of the second spreadsheet - and then attempted to delete the local version of BOTH spreadsheets (the second one opened followed by the first one). The delete was unsuccessful as I still had both spreadsheets open in Excel, so I only received the 'Error Deleting File or Fold / You Must Close the File Before Proceeding' error message.
5. I then saved both spreadsheets and closed Excel - Syncdocs did an upload / replace of both spreadsheets and then deleted the local version. Forcing a subsequent sync re-downloaded the spreadsheets.
Further testing re step 5. If I only save ONE of the spreadsheets and close it (and just close the other without saving), Syncdocs does the upload / replace on the saved spreadsheet - but does NOT delete the local version of either.
Hope this helps.
Re your item 2 - it isn't actually necessary to save the file to prompt Syncdocs to start a Sync.
As soon as I open an Excel / MYOB file, the 'date modified' of the file as displayed in the relevant folder changes to the current date/time.
I am guessing that the change in the 'Date Modified' of the file is what prompts a sync from Syncdocs.
This change of 'Date Modified' on opening of the file seems to be peculiar to certain applications (MYOB, Excel), which seems to be where the problem lies.
When I attempted to replicate the "upload sync / local delete / re-download" issue I am having with Excel and MYOB files with a number of other application files (e.g. powerpoint, word, txt), I noticed the 'Date Modified' did not change when I opened those files, and Syncdocs was not prompted to perform a Sync on opening of those files.
This all may have been obvious from my later post, but thought I'd spell it out anyway.
@NickA: Thank you for all those details! That will help us repeat and fix things.
Two other questions:
- what version of Excel are you running, and are you saving as .xlsx files?
- are you converting to Google Docs format on upload.
1. Was running Excel 2003 (.xls file) on Windows XP. Have just replicated issue using Excel 2007 on Windows7 machine - only difference I observed is that Syncdocs does not seem to attempt to delete the files as per Step 4 of my description above while the files are still open. However, when the files are saved and closed, it does the sync/delete/redownload as before. Again, it also only seems to happen when dealing with more than one Excel file at a time.
2. Not converting to Google Docs format.
Phil - is there any progress on this issue? Have you been able to replicate it?
I haven't been able to replicate it despite you explicit instructions.
I only tried your first instructions with Excel 2007. I'll retry with Excel 2007 and your changed step 4 with Excel 2003 with the original settings as per your second last post.
Lavender Eugen yarn fabric wedding gowns, beautiful and elegant, three-dimensional square shoulder contour design, show her unique and noble Queen temperament, details of the square decorative use of special technology, exquisite and beautiful. The mens formal wear sense of art and the real wear combination, perfect embodiment of her queen temperament, use it as a red carpet armor is a smart choice! Silver Sequin embellished as Mermaid Princess shining scales, and her white skin contrast, sparkling and crystal-clear, paired with a pair of the same color flashing earrings, give a person with elegant atmosphere. Full and fair bride can try this type mens formalwear.
Syncdocs is still deleting files.
I have to go into the Recycle Bin every day to recover files.
Syncdocs is otherwise a good program, so I don't want to get rid of it, but this has become ridiculous.
A little more information will help us figure our what's wrong: Is there anything in common with these files in the Recycle bin? Are they of a specific type, or have they recently been changed on Google?
Syncdocs checks that the file is gone from Google before deleting it locally.
Also still having exactly same problem as before.
Jon L - as a workaround, try forcing a second manual sync after the first sync deletes the files. In my experience Syncdocs will then re-download the files it previously deleted.
@Nika: is there anything specific about these files? What version of Syncdocs are you using? Any extra information will help us pin this down.
You must log in to post.